Curbside leaf vacuuming begins November 4 and will continue through the beginning of January. Look for the posted signs in your neighborhood to know when curbside leaf collection will occur. Collection schedules are tentative as they depend on weather conditions. Refer to the city website www.collegeparkmd.gov/specialcollections#curbsideleaf for the most up-to-date collection schedule.
Curbside Leaf Collection Do’s and Don’ts:
- No bagging is necessary during leaf collection with vacuums. Soft yard waste can be included in your leaf piles (e.g. grass, flowers, weeds - no vines or woody trimmings).
- Rake leaves to the curb. Do not put them in the street. Pile leaves away from cars and storm drains. The leaf vacuum cannot reach around cars.
- Remove vines or woody yard waste, tree limbs, rocks, trash, and other debris from leaves to be collected. These items can damage the equipment and cause delays.
- Noise and dust may be noticeable. Dry conditions generate more dust. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- If you put your soft yard waste (grass, leaves and weeds) in bags, containers or the yard waste carts, they will only be collected when the leaf vacuum is scheduled to be in your neighborhood. Weekly yard waste collections on regular trash collection days are suspended during curbside leaf collection period.
- Leaf vacuuming only occurs in the fall/early winter.
NOTE: To stay on schedule, leaf trucks will not be able to return to collect leaves once they have already been through your street. Each area of the City is scheduled to be serviced at least 4 times during this period, so there will be several opportunities to have leaves collected. Additionally, the vacuum hoses are not able to reach around cars or other obstructions, so it is imperative that piles of leaves are accessible from the street.