Curbside Food Scrap Collection is in full swing
This new voluntary program will divert organic materials, that are not waste, out of our landfill and help reduce harmful greenhouse gases which contribute to climate change. According to the EPA, nearly 24% of trash that is collected contains food scraps that can be composted.
How to Register for Curbside Food Scrap Collection
Interested in registering your household for the Curbside Food Scrap Collection Program?
If your household currently receives curbside trash, recycling, and yard waste collection within the City of College Park, then you are eligible to participate in the new program; residential collections only.
Residents can sign up on a rolling basis. Read on and learn how to sign-up!
- Food scraps are collected each Tuesday for city residents who opt-in.
- No fee for collection, but residents must purchase a cost-share city-supplied container. Choose from a 12-gallon wheeled cart ($13.00), or a 5-gallon bucket ($9.00). Participants can also choose to purchase an optional small kitchen pail ($5.00) to store food scraps inside their homes.
- Participants of the drop-off program can continue to use their city-supplied buckets (must already have a bucket). No personal containers are allowed.
- Use compostable or paper bags before placing in the collection container. No plastic bags allowed.
- A contractor is providing the collection service, we recommend placing your container out before 6:00 a.m. or the night before your scheduled pick-up to avoid a missed collection.
- Your container should be directly in front of your house, and if possible at the end of the driveway or walkway, so it’s clearly visible from the street. No alley collections.
The City of College Park’s Department of Public Works coordinates curbside food scrap collection with the Contractor, Compost Crew. Households can register by filling out the form in the link below.
Purchase and pick up containers at the Department of Public Works, 9217 51st Avenue, College Park, MD 20740 - Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
May sign up at any time, and may cancel at any time.
Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org; 240-487-3590