Yard Waste & Brush
Call or email DPW if you would like us to contact you when we get more in (240-487-3590 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Yard Waste Carts are now available for residents to purchase for $25.00.
The new beige yard waste cart can be used for either “soft yard waste” or “woody yard waste.” The two products are collected on separate days and processed into different products.
- SOFT YARD WASTE IS COLLECTED ON YOUR REGULAR TRASH/RECYCLING DAY
What is Soft Yard Waste? Leaves, grass clippings, flowers, weeds, hedge trimmings and similar vegetative (non-woody) organic materials are processed into SMARTLEAF® compost. Place soft yard waste in your new beige cart, and put it at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your regular collection day.
- WOODY YARD WASTE IS COLLECTED BY SPECIAL APPOINTMENT ON THURSDAYS OR FRIDAYS
What is Woody Yard Waste? Brush, twigs, branches and logs are shredded into wood mulch. Place these items in your new beige cart and contact the Department of Public Works to schedule a Thursday or Friday appointment (240-487-3590, or email@example.com.) Put the cart at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled appointment day.
This sturdy 65-gallon cart has wheels and a lift-bar for easy collection. Do not put soil, rock, lumber, pressure treated wood, trash, or plastic bags in this cart. It is your responsibility to keep the cart clean. Contaminants found in the cart, on collection day, will prohibit it from being emptied.
Using the new yard waste cart can save time and money – single use paper lawn bags become expensive over time and can tear or fall apart when wet.
Soft Yard Waste
January - October (after leaf vacuuming has ended, sometimes mid January)
The City collects soft yard waste on your regular trash and recycling day. Soft yard waste consists of any soft vegetative yard waste such as grass, leaves, vines, weeds, small trimmings, and clippings.
Please adhere to the following rules concerning yard waste:
- NO plastic bags! Use paper yard waste bags or reusable containers displaying a City yard waste decal. Do not use plastic bags or City refuse or recycling carts.
- Do not put trash or recycling in with your yard waste. Flower pots, plastic bags/wrappers, toys, balls, and other non-vegetative materials do not belong in with your yard waste.
- The best option is to make a one-time purchase for reusable containers:
- Purchase a Yard Waste Cart from the City for $25.00.
- By doing so you can stop buying paper bags, which becomes expensive over time and can tear if they get too wet.
- You may also provide your own containers, but each must not exceed 32 gallons or 75 pounds. Reusable containers MUST have a City yard waste decal. Decals can be picked up for free at any City building. You may want to drill small holes in the bottoms of containers for water drainage.
Keep grass out of the street! Grass and leaves deposited in the street wash into storm drains and storm sewer lines, potentially clogging them and causing flooding. This debris ultimately reaches waterways and the Chesapeake Bay, threatening aquatic health. Mulch your grass clippings or start a backyard compost pile instead. Brochures on these topics are available from the Committee for a Better Environment webpage.
November – December
(Sometimes extendes into mid January)
The City provides curbside leaf vacuuming during the Fall. Please visit the Curbside Leaf Collection page for more information.
During leaf vacuuming season, soft yard waste that is in paper bags or reusable containers will only be collected when they are scheduled to come through your neighborhood. For the leaf collection schedule, please visit Curbside Leaf Collection or look for posted signs in your neighborhood. Please note: once the trucks have left your road they won't be back through until the next scheduled date (usually about 2 weeks later).
Woody Yard Waste
Woody yard waste includes brush, branches, logs, shrubs, bamboo, sticks, and twigs. These items are collected year round on Thursdays and Fridays by appointment only. Call or email Public Works to schedule a pickup (240-487-3590; firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please adhere to the following rules concerning woody yard waste:
- Bundle and tie with rope or string (do not use wire or put in plastic bags) or use reusable containers.
- Items must be less than 5 feet long and weigh less than 75 pounds.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Christmas trees are collected by appointment only. Please remove all decorations and place at the curb. Call 240-487-3590 or email email@example.com to schedule a pickup.