Special Items Recycled by the City
The items below are recyclable but should not be placed in your blue recycling cart. Special collections are made on Thursdays and Fridays by appointment; please call Public Works at 240-487-3590 or email email@example.com to request a special pickup.
- Yard Waste: Includes leaves, grass clippings, flowers, weeds, hedge trimmings, and similar vegetative (non-woody) organic materials. During fall leaf collection season, leaves should be raked to the curb during posted collection times. At other times of the year, yard waste must be placed in paper yard waste bags or approved reusable containers and will be collected on your normal refuse and recycling day. For more information on curbside leaf collection, please click here. Also visit the Committee for a Better Environment (CBE) web page to download two brochures: "Composting in 4 Easy Steps" and "Grass Clippings...Let 'Em Lay!" to learn about ways you can recycle your yard waste in your own yard.
- Brush & Logs: Includes bamboo, branches, shrubs, trees, and live holiday trees and wreaths. Bundle items and tie with rope or string (do not use wire or put in plastic bags). Items must be less than 5 feet long & weigh less than 75 pounds. Call or email Public Works to schedule a special pickup.
- Scrap Metal: Includes metal filing cabinets, chain link fences, metal pipes, metal clothes hangers, automobile parts, metal desks and chairs, wiring etc. Call or email Public Works to schedule a special pickup.
- Electronics: Includes computers, tablets, keyboards, mice, printers, scanners, fax machines, TVs, VCRs, DVD/CD/MP3 players, stereos, radios, turntables, speakers, telephones, cell phones, PDAs, digital cameras, camcorders, electronic game devices, cables/cords, electric tools, vacuum cleaners, microwaves, and other household appliances. Call or email Public Works to schedule a special pickup.
- Tires: Always a $4 collection fee per tire. Call or email Public Works to schedule a special pickup.
- White goods (large appliances): Includes stoves, washers, dryers, dishwashers, and water heaters. Most items are collected at no charge, but there may be a fee for appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and heat pumps, which contain refrigerants or other toxins. Call or email Public Works to schedule a special pickup.
Most of these items may also be dropped off at the Public Works facility (9217 51st Avenue) during announced Saturdays in spring and fall only (proof of City residency is required).
Used Motor Oil
Used motor oil is recyclable but must not be placed in your blue recycling cart. A receptacle for used motor oil is available year-round to City residents at the Public Works facility (9217 51st Avenue). Please deposit used motor oil in accordance with directions posted at the site.