|SMARTLEAF® Compost & Wood Mulch|
|Compost vs. Wood Mulch: Which One and How Much do I Need?|
|How SMARTLEAF® Compost and Wood Mulch are Made|
SMARTLEAF® Compost: $28.00 per cubic yard (includes tax).
Wood Mulch: $12.00 per cubic yard (includes tax).
Delivery fees are extra depending on location.
Our trucks hold 6 cubic yards. There is a minimum of 3 cubic yards for delivery (except to College Park residents).
- College Park locations are $20.00 per delivery.
- Adelphi, Beltsville, Berwyn Heights, Greenbelt, New Carrollton, Riverdale and University Park are $60.00 per delivery; min. 3 cubic yards.
- Bladensburg, Brentwood, Colmar Manor, Cottage City, Glenn Dale, Hyattsville, Landover, Lanham, and Mt. Rainier are $70.00 per delivery; min. 3 cubic yards.
- Bethesda, Bowie, Burtonsville, Capital Heights, Chevy Chase, Kensington, Laurel, Largo, Silver Spring, Takoma Park and Wheaton are $80.00 per delivery; min. 3 cubic yards.
- Cabin John, Columbia, District Heights, Olney, Rockville, Savage, Suitland, Upper Marlboro, and Washington, DC are $100.00 per delivery; min. 3 cubic yards.
Deliveries end for the season in late October.
Payment types accepted: cash, check, and credit card (Visa, MC, AmEx, Discover). Please pay for your material at the time of pickup. Payment for a delivery is arranged in advance by calling 240-487-3593.
Location: 9217 51st Avenue, College Park, MD 20740
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. There are select Saturday hours in April and October ONLY in association with our cleanup events; please visit the Spring & Fall Cleanup Events page for exact dates and hours.
Bring your open-bed pickup truck or trailer during the hours listed above and material can be loaded in your vehicle for you. Trucks with a 4 foot bed can hold 1/2 a cubic yard, a 6 foot bed can hold 1 cubic yard, and an 8 foot bed can hold 2 cubic yards.
Don't have a truck? Bring a shovel and your own containers (bins, buckets, bags, etc.) and be prepared to load your containers yourself. It is advisable not to use plastic bags. Compost and wood mulch are heavy and can easily tear plastic trash bags. Paper yard waste bags are a good option, or the heavy duty plastic contractor bags.
We sell in 1/4 cubic yard increments and can pro-rate your purchase based on the amount you take with you. The following are measurements for your own containers:
- One cubic yard is roughly 3 feet (width) x 3 feet (length) x 3 feet (depth)
- A 1/2 cubic yard is 1.5 feet (width) x 1.5 feet (length) x 1.5 feet (depth) or 6 lawn and leaf bags filled half full
- A 1/4 cubic yard is 10 five-gallon buckets or 3 lawn and leaf bags filled half full
It is your responsibility to bring your own shovel!
For an additional fee, we can deliver materials within 20 miles. Deliveries begin mid March. We schedule on a first-come, first-serve basis! Call 240-487-3590 for more information, or to schedule your delivery.
*Commencement of deliveries in the Spring is dependent on when the snow plows and salt spreaders can be removed from the delivery trucks. If you want to be notified when deliveries are available, please sign up here. All you need to do is enter your name and email address and choose the last email list category "SMARTLEAF compost and wood mulch".
There is a minimum of 3 cubic yards for delivery - except to College Park residents. Our dump trucks hold a maximum of 6 cubic yards. You may order more than 6 cubic yards at one time, but it will increase the delivery cost. Sorry, but we cannot combine compost and wood mulch in the same truck. We also cannot unload one delivery in more than one location.
Requirements for deliveries:
- No low hanging wires or tree limbs: our trucks are 13 feet tall and the truck bed will rise 20 feet to unload the material. The truck also needs to be able to move forward 5-10 feet with the truck body raised for the material to fully unload.
- Delivery areas need to be at least 11 feet wide to accommodate our delivery trucks.
- Material cannot be unloaded in the street or right-of-way (e.g. area between the sidewalk and curb)
- You must have a paved/concrete/gravel/compacted surface the driver can access to unload the material
- Drivers cannot drive over curbs
- Trucks cannot drive across grass
You do not have to be home for the delivery, but if you have a preferred location for materials to be unloaded, please try to clearly mark the area where you want the delivery to be made (e.g. tarp, chalk mark, bucket, etc.). Otherwise, the driver will attempt to unload materials as far back in your driveway as possible.
Our drivers make the best attempt to meet your delivery request, but overhead utility lines, tree limbs, or other obstructions may make it difficult for the driver to unload materials in an exact location. Your flexibility is appreciated.
We are not able to offer you a timeframe for delivery. Deliveries are generally made between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. We can give you a courtesy call to tell you that we are on the way.
If you need to reschedule your delivery you must call or email 1 business day in advance - 240-487-3590, firstname.lastname@example.org.