City of College Park, Maryland

Public Works

Household Hazardous Waste

The City is not permitted to collect hazardous material. Household hazardous waste includes, but is not limited to:

  • alkaline batteries
  • ammunition
  • automotive fluids/fuels
  • cleaning agents
  • cooking oil
  • car batteries
  • driveway sealer
  • explosives
  • fluorescent light bulbs or tubes
  • fuel
  • insecticides, herbicides and fertilizers
  • mercury
  • pressurized containers (propane tanks, gas cylinders, fire extinguishers, etc.)
  • oil-based paint
  • photographic chemicals
  • pool chemicals
  • roof shingles (see below)
  • smoke detectors
  • solvents
  • sealants
  • varnishes and stain

What should you do? Prince George's County accepts hazardous materials Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. The facility is located at 11611 White House Road, Upper Marlboro, MD. Please call the County at 301-883-5045 or click here for more information.

Motor Oil

Used motor oil may be recycled anytime at the Department of Public Works (9217 51st Avenue). This receptacle is for used motor oil only – do not dump other automotive fluids in the motor oil receptacle!! Other automotive fluids such as antifreeze must be taken to the Prince George's County Landfill. Do not leave any other liquids or items at Public Works or you may be fined for illegal dumping. Dispose of oil and containers in accordance with posted directions.


Water-based (latex) paint cans are collected only if they are empty or the paint has hardened. To prepare liquid latex paint for collection, add kitty litter or a commercial paint hardener.

Liquid paint – take to the Prince George’s County Hazardous Waste Acceptance Site. Non-emptied and non-dried paint cans will not be collected curbside. If your paint is in good condition, check with a home goods re-use store to see if they can accept it.

Oil-based paint, sealants, solvents, etc. are NOT collected by the City of College Park. You must take these items to the Prince George's County Hazardous Waste facility.

Yuck Old Paint is a landfill diversion solution for the old cans of paint in your home, commercial building, military base or municipality. Click here for their website, or call them at 888-509-YUCK (9825).

Shingles, Tar Paper, and other Construction & Demolition Debris

Shingles, tar paper, bricks, rocks, concrete, block and other construction and demolition debris are NOT accepted in the City's trash and recycling programs, nor are they accepted at the Prince George's County Landfill. They must be taken to Ritchie's Landfill, 2001 Ritchie Marlboro Rd, Upper Marlboro, MD 20774. Call 301-350-4059 for hours of operation and proper disposal procedures.

Needles, Sharpes, and Syringes

If a sharps (sealed impervious) container is not available, needles must be capped and the syringe placed inside a rigid plastic container (such as laundry detergent bottle). Replace the cap on the bottle, tape it closed and write on it Sharpes, and place it inside your green trash cart. You can also check with your local hospital, pharmacy or doctors office for other options.