Curbside Leaf Collection
Curbside Leaf Collection is over for the season.
Please follow the rules for soft yard waste.
Soft Yard Waste
January - October (after leaf vacuuming has ended, sometimes mid January)
The City collects soft yard waste on your regular trash and recycling day. Soft yard waste consists of any soft vegetative yard waste such as grass, leaves, vines, weeds, small trimmings, and clippings.
Please adhere to the following rules concerning yard waste:
- NO plastic bags! Use paper yard waste bags or reusable containers displaying a City yard waste decal.
- Do not use City issued green refuse cart or blue recycling carts.
- Do not put trash or recycling in with your yard waste. Flower pots, plastic bags/wrappers, toys, balls, and other non-vegetative materials do not belong in with your yard waste.
- The best option is to make a one-time purchase for reusable containers:
- Purchase a Yard Waste Cart from the City for $25.00.
- By doing so you can stop buying paper bags, which becomes expensive over time and can tear if they get too wet.
- You may also provide your own containers, but each must not exceed 32 gallons or 75 pounds. Reusable containers MUST have a City yard waste decal. Decals can be picked up for free at any City building. You may want to drill small holes in the bottoms of containers for water drainage.
Keep grass out of the street! Grass and leaves deposited in the street wash into storm drains and storm sewer lines, potentially clogging them and causing flooding. This debris ultimately reaches waterways and the Chesapeake Bay, threatening aquatic health. Mulch your grass clippings or start a backyard compost pile instead. Brochures on these topics are available from the Committee for a Better Environment webpage.
November – December
(Sometimes extends into mid January)
The City provides curbside leaf vacuuming during the Fall.
During leaf vacuuming season, soft yard waste that is in paper bags or reusable containers will only be collected when they are scheduled to come through your neighborhood with the leaf vac. Look for posted signs in your neighborhood. Please note: once the trucks have left your road they won't be back through until the next scheduled date (usually about 2 weeks later).