City of College Park, Maryland

Public Services

Code Enforcement


Robert W. Ryan, Director of Public Services 240-487-3570


The City of College Park’s Calvert Road office, located at 4601 Calvert Road, permanently closed on Thursday, August 16, 2018. The City’s Department of Public Services has relocated to their new location at 8400 Baltimore Avenue Suite 340. 

Until further notice, please take all building permit applications to the Department of Planning, Community and Economic Development in City Hall (lower level), located at 4500 Knox Road. For questions, contact the Department of Public Services at or 240.487.3570.  To mail anything to the department, please send it to City Hall at 4500 Knox Road College Park, MD 20740.

Occupancy Permit Application Fee Increase
The City of College Park Fiscal Year 2014 will commence July 1, 2013. Residential Occupancy Permit Renewal Applications received after June 30, 2013 will be subject to the following rate increase:

Before 6/30/13
After 7/1/13
Single-family residences $235 $244
Condominium units $145 per unit $150 per unit
Townhouse units $235 per unit $244
Rooming house $230 per building $238 per building
Building with 6 or more units $120 per unit $125 per unit
Building with 2 to 5 units $200 per unit $207 per unit
Fraternities/sororites $560 per building $580 per building
Hotels/motels and tourist facilites $40 per guest room $41 per guest room
Nonresidential (commercial or industrial) premises $120 each $124


Code Enforcement is located at 8400 Baltimore Ave. Suite 340, College Park, Maryland 20740.  Telephone 240-487-3570, FAX 301-864-7965.

Questions? Request for Services? Enter them in College Park Central

Building Permits

Any type of construction, renovation or alteration that requires a Prince George's County building permit would also require a City of College Park building permit.  Check Prince George's County Permits and Reviews website or call 301-883-5776 for further information.

Occupancy Permits

All residential rental properties and all commercial properties located within the City are required to obtain an annual occupancy permit.  The Public Services department conducts an annual inspection of these properties for compliance with the City Code.  An annual occupancy permit application fee is billed to the owners of each residential rental or commercial property; the annual fees are established by the Mayor & Council and are listed in Chapter 110 of the City Code.  For further information, please call 240-487-3570.

§ 125-17 College Park Code Fire Safety Laws

Housing Inspections

The Public Services department is authorized and directed to make annual inspections to determine the condition of rental properties, including single family dwellings, apartments, rooming houses, hotels and motels, fraternities and sororities located within the City in order to safeguard the health and safety of the occupants and the general public.  For the purpose of conducting such inspections, a code enforcement officer, upon presentation of proper credentials, is authorized to enter, examine and survey, at all reasonable times, all dwellings, dwelling units, rooming units and other premises.  The owner or occupant of such units or the person in charge thereof are asked to give the code enforcement officer free access to such units at all reasonable times for the purpose of such inspections.  If access is denied, the City may request an administrative search warrant to obtain entry. In the event of a direct complaint from a tenant to the City concerning an alleged housing code violation, the Public Services department will inspect the premises for verification of the complaint. 

Noise Control

Unless it is for the purpose of necessary property maintenance during the day, it is unlawful for any owner or occupant of real property located within the City to make or generate loud or raucous sound on said property, or to permit any loud or raucous sound to be made or generated on said property, so as to cause unreasonable annoyance or disturbance to others living or located nearby.  Allowable noise is limited to 65 decibels during the day and 55 decibels at night.  A code enforcement officer is on duty late spring and early fall on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 6:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.  If you have a noise complaint at any time, you may call the Code/Noise Enforcement Hotline at 240-487-3588.  

Noise in our community?

Litter Control

The City Code states that no person shall throw, dump, place, deposit, leave or cause or permit the dumping, depositing, placing, throwing or leaving of litter on any public or private property, place or premises unless the property, place or premises is approved for the disposal of the litter or the litter is securely and properly placed into a receptacle as authorized and approved by the City.  Code enforcement officers enforce this code 7 days a week.