Campaign Finance Report Information
Reports and Deadlines:
- Initial Campaign Finance Report: Due no earlier than October 3, 2017 and no later than 4:00 p.m., October 18, 2017.
- Pre-Election Campaign Finance Report: Due on Sunday, October 29, 2017 or Monday, October 30, 2017, no later than 4:00 p.m.
- Post-Election and/or Final Campaign Finance Report: Must be filed after the election, but no later than 4:00 p.m. on November 21, 2017.
- Subsequent Campaign Finance Report(s): If there is a balance in the account in the Post-Election report, a Subsequent Campaign Finance Report must be filed the following July 1, and every July 1 thereafter, by 4:00 p.m. until the campaign has a zero balance.
For your convenience, Campaign Finance Reports are available in three formats:
How to File:
Electronic Filing of Campaign Finance Reports can be pre-arranged by completing and submitting the “Authorization of Electronic Filing/Campaign Finance Reports” form by the filing deadline. If Electronic Filing has been pre-arranged, these reports must be submitted by email from the authorized e-mail address to: email@example.com .
Campaign Finance Reports not authorized for electronic filing should be submitted to the City Clerk’s office, 4500 Knox Road, College Park, Maryland 20740. Campaign Finance Reports may be submitted to the Clerk’s office by fax (301-699-8029) only in order to meet a deadline, but the original of the form must be submitted by the close of the next business day.
No other election forms may be submitted by email.
Instructions on how to complete Campaign Finance Reports are included on the form itself. If you have questions, please contact the Chief of the Board of Election Supervisors. Once submitted, forms will be reviewed by the BOES. If there are any questions or errors, you will be contacted. Approved Campaign Finance Reports will be posted on the City’s website.
State Reporting Requirements:
In accordance with the requirements of the Annotated Code of Maryland, candidates for elected office are required to submit filed campaign finance reports to the State Board of Elections within 10 days of the date the report is due to the City. The state law reads:
“If a municipality requires candidates in a municipal election to file campaign finance reports, within 10 days after the filing deadline, each candidate in the municipal election shall submit to the State Board of Elections a copy of the campaign finance report that was filed by the candidate.”
You may submit your report to the State Board of Elections at:
Director of Candidacy and Campaign Finance
151 West Street, Suite 200
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-269-2840 x 2853
How Do I Close Out An Account If There Are Funds Remaining?:
Surplus funds may be disbursed as follows:
- Returned to the contributors on a pro rata basis
- Paid to the City treasury
- Donated to a charitable organization
Your Campaign Finance Report must properly reflect the disposition of funds.
Do I Need a Treasurer?
Everyone must designate a Treasurer. However, if you do not accept donations (other than volunteer campaign help) from anyone other than yourself and your spouse, you may appoint yourself as your own Treasurer. If you will be accepting money or anything of value from anyone else, you must appoint an independent Treasurer.