City of College Park, Maryland

City Clerk

Traffic Calming (Speed Humps)

Traffic Calming devices are regulated by City Code Chapter 184 Article VI (Vehicles and Traffic/Traffic Calming Devices) and may be initiated either by resident petition or by the City Council. The same procedures that apply to request Traffic Calming devices also apply for removal of existing devices. The City Clerk's office is responsible for receiving and validating petitions for traffic calming devices. Once a petition is validated, it will be sent to the City Engineer for evaluation. When the City Engineer’s report is complete, a public hearing on the request will be scheduled. All residents of the affected area, and the neighborhood citizens association, will be notified and have an opportunity to comment. After the public hearing, the City Council may approve, approve with modification, or deny the request. The City Clerk will give notice of the outcome.